Self-employed individuals in the construction trade pay tax under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). Under the CIS, contractors deduct money from a subcontractor’s payments and pass it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). The deductions count as advance payments towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance.
The CIS covers following construction trades:
- preparing the site – for example, laying foundations and providing access works
- demolition and dismantling
- building work
- alterations, repairs and decorating
- installing systems for heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation
- cleaning the inside of buildings after construction work